Saturday, November 20, 2010

Manny's Barbershop in New Westminster



On Sunday, I had the pleasure of discovering a new barber. Now, going to a new barber is a non-trivial event in a man's life. You have to break up with the old one and go to a new one. If the old place you got your haircuts at was some faceless place in the mall, you're in for a relatively guilt-free new-barber experience. Luckily, this was just the case for me. I didn't have to break up with my old barber, I used to get my hair cuts at Magic Cuts in the mall.

In New Westminster, at the corner of Columbia and Sherbrooke, I espied a sign that said "Manny's Barbershop". The sign resembled something out of Forrest Gump. Intrigued, I memorized the number and called it a few days later. Manny answered the phone and when I aske dhim how much he charged for a haircut, told me "$2.50". I couldn't believe my ears and asked him to repeat himself, thinking I might have misheard him. "$2.50", he repeated again over the bustle of shears and conversation and hung up.

I showed up a few hours later and on walking in, Manny greeted me and asked if I was the gentleman who'd called. I nodded and he pointed at the sign that said "$12.50 - Men's haircut" and told me, "See how much I charge for a haircut?". Relieved that the price was more realistic, I sat down and solved a crossword as I waited.

My turn came and I got in the chair. Manny told me that telling new callers the absurdly low price of $2.50 was a ruse he employed to keep stingy people out. The inference was clear: tip or else! He kept up a steady stream of conversation, punctuated by remarks of a very politically incorrect nature from time to time. But let's face it, the audience there was composed of bricklayers, carpenters, a tile man and a welder. Hurly-burly tradesmen who probably relished the occasional blue joke and raunchy discussion. I'm personally not easily offended at all, but I'd recommend staying away from there if you're the sensitive type.

The haircut ended, Manny brushed off the keratinous detritus. I inspected the new do from all angles and was satisfied. A job well done and at $12.50, a real steal. Manny was friendly, courteous and professional. If you're looking for a new barber in the New Westminster area, you could do worse.

5 comments:

  1. price are in side and out side the shop for buzz cut $12.50 plus taxes .for other's hair cut $14 plus taxes . next time for you and other's will be clears .thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 times I did your hair cut you are abusing me and my services. if you didn't liked me and my services why you are coming back! every time coming for free hair cut.Jan7,2012 you got in side my door for 5 times hair cut . I ask you to find different barber. don't take your revenges to the internet.what I asked you the best interest me and my shop. go get grow up and get change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this massage to Mr. goff NO n.I-N-D on January 7.2012 you kicked from my shop. don`t take your personal interest in internet. revenge and jealousy takes you no Where!3 times hair cut free is enough to show how good i am.you can't make you own problem, hole neighbour hod and government and politician problem . i kicked you out from my shop ,you will not ever forget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manny is the only guy I'll let touch my hair. A man's shop with a good barber who charges fair prices.
    Best in New West.

    ReplyDelete